BISON AND SQUASH FRIED RICE
As the days get longer and the temperatures rise the more I want to be outside rather than inside. Some days I just don’t feel like spending much time preparing a meal and that’s when I look for quick, easy but still healthy options for our supper table. This recipe checks all those points and more!
(*Edits as of Dec 2022)
Yield: 4 servings
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups diced butternut squash *(Fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup bison broth (Click HERE for the recipe or substitute for beef broth)
- 1lb ground bison
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- *2 cups cooked rice (Cook ahead of time for even quicker meal prep)
- 2 green onions
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Sour cream
1. In a cast-iron skillet over high heat, brown the diced squash in half the oil for 5 minutes. Add half the broth and continue cooking until the broth has been completely absorbed. Set the cooked squash aside in a bowl.
2. In the same skillet, brown the meat with the turmeric and curry powder in the remaining oil for 5 minutes, breaking it up as it cooks. Add the garlic and soy sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the rice, squash and the remaining broth. Cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with the green onion and serve with lime wedges and sour cream.