Bison Stuffed Shotgun Shells
Be: Chef Steve Squier
Serves: 6-10 people
This is a fun recipe for the family to and a great appetizer for your next party invite. It may seem odd to not cook the pasta a head of time but there is enough moisture in the mix and bacon to make the pasta tender. Smokey bacon and spices are a great compliment to the rich bison flavour. These shells can be a canvas for any flavours so have fun and experiment with that you like.
2lb Ground Bison
2 cup Yellow Onion, small dice
2 cloves Garlic
1 large Jalapeno
2 cup Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
250g Cream Cheese
2-3 lb Bacon
2 box/500g Cannelloni Pasta Shells, oven ready
2 can Rotel Diced Tomato
1 400ml can Tomato puree
1 cup Your Favourite BBQ Sauce
¼ cup Bison Ridge BBQ Spice Mix
- Small dice your onion, garlic and jalapeno. You can also use a food processor and pulse them until fine chopped.
- In a large bowl you will combine the ground bison, chopped onions, garlic, jalapeno, cream cheese, Bison Ridge Farms BBQ Spice and pepper jack cheese. Mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Stuff the raw pasta shells with the bison mix, make sure there are no air pockets in the shells. Note: if you are not using oven ready shells, you can par boil the noodles for half the time listed on the box.
- Next wrap each shell in a strip of bacon.
- In a baking dish, line the bottom with the mix of puree tomato and Rotel. Place, uncovered in a 300-degree F oven and cook for 1 hour
- After 1 hour brush the bacon with your favourite BBQ sauce and turn the oven up to 375 degrees and cook for another 30min or until the bacon is crisp.
- Preheat the smoker to 250-degrees and place the on the middle rack and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Brush the bacon with BBQ sauce and continue cooking for another hour.
These Stuffed “shotgun shells” can make a great meal when they are braised with tomato and peppers and served with your favourite salad. These also make a great appetizer served with some BBQ sauce for dipping.
The bison mix can be made ahead of time and kept in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Have fun with the stuffing and try adding different flavours, smoked cheese, bell peppers, more spice if you want it hotter. Just a few ideas to play with and enjoy.