I love this meal and my family does too. Not only is it so tasty it’s easy to prepare and something I can put together during the quietness of nap time. I use stew meat and find it gets nice and tender but you’re welcome to replace it with any steak or roast cut.
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 lbs (675 g) bison stew meat
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb (454 g) white button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red wine
- 1 cup (250 ml) bison broth (or substitute for beef broth)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) paprika
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) 10% plain yogurt or 14% sour cream
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, dust meat with flour.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Brown the meat in small batches in the hot oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer meat to the slow cooker as you go.
- In the same skillet, brown onions and mushrooms in butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze with wine then add to slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker except for yogurt and herbs. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Just before serving, add yogurt and adjust seasoning. Serve on egg noodles and sprinkle with herbs.